Friday, November 02, 2007

Griffin... has what?

Griffin has Mono. Wow. I totally wasn't expecting that diagnosis! He hasn't seemed to be more tired than usual in the last few days. He has asked me, "Is it naptime yet?" a few times, and has been sleeping a bit longer than usual for his naps, but other than that and the swollen lymph nodes and the tiny bit of sore throat he had for two days, you'd think the kid was perfectly healthy.



He goes back in to the pediatrician for a sonogram of his spleen in two weeks. In the meantime, I am supposed to keep him from playing too roughly (ha! this should be interesting) and keep him away from large groups of children in areas such as playgrounds where if he were running and fell off of something, his spleen could rupture. So I guess he's not going to be going to church for a while. Six to eight weeks, the nurse said. Seems like an eternity, and yes, it is over Thanksgiving AND Christmas. Yippee. We'll go back to church in 2008.



Really, it's not as serious of a diagnosis as it could have been, so I am relieved, but it just seems weird to think about. At least it's not very contagious. We're supposed to avoid kissing him on the mouth and sharing utensils and drinks with him for the next few weeks. This means we're going to have to be on "sippy cup patrol". I may go out and get him his very own cups. He's getting big enough that he doesn't really need a sippy cup anymore, but he's just so used to being able to set them down anywhere without thinking about them spilling that it'll be a new concept to teach him.



The nurse told me that we didn't need to worry about it too much, and I checked online and the website I went to said that it's not as contagious as people think it is, but I really don't want Sammy to get this too. More doctor's bills and isolation we don't need.



Griffin will have to have surgery on his finger befoer he turns four, too. His "trigger thumb" is still there and is not getting any better. It has popped back and forth very few times, but he says it hurts a lot when it does, so I have a feeling it's not a problem that will resolve itself. Poor kid. That won't be a fun thing to go through for any of us!



Well, this was a depressing post! I hope the next one will be better.

No comments: