Monday, October 31, 2011

NEO November

It's time for another edition of NEO November!  What?  You've never heard of NEO November?  Well, let me tell you all about it.  It stands for No Eating Out November.  I have made a commitment to not eat out for one whole month.  We may have a few exceptions, i.e. Mom's Night Out, family birthday dinners, etc. but for the most part, our family will not eat out this month.  And I totally lied about the "another edition" bit, because this is the first time I have done this.  I'm thinking it will be a good weight loss plan, as well as the beginning of some great new lifelong habits.  Yay!

I have shopped for a month's worth of non-perishables, and have stocked my pantries, cabinets and garage shelves with good, wholesome, filling foods that will last all month.  Mike will be doing the weekly grocery store run for milk/eggs/veggies/fruit/etc. since he is not an impulse shopper like I am.  I should not be in the grocery store every week.  That in itself is not good for our budget!  I did not buy cold cereal, which has been a staple at our house for several months... basically, since Oliver was born.  He is now 7 months old, and I have got my groove back!  I want to make hot, nourishing breakfasts for my starving men in the mornings. 

I love spending time in the kitchen preparing meals for my family.  I am a slow cook, and I will probably never be one of those ultra-speedy choppers you see on the cooking shows.  I will never be Rachael Ray.  30 Minute Meals?  Um, probably not.  I'm more of a Paula Deen or Nigella Lawson.  I have never been accused of being a fast cook.  More than likely, you'll find me puttering around the kitchen, looking for another ingredient to add to an already perfect mixture, while all the men around me are holding their hollow, growling stomachs in misery.

I just need to plan for this, and be prepared to spend several hours in the kitchen every day.  It will be a new concept for me.  For some reason, I still expect to be able to go into the kitchen as soon as people in my house start saying they are hungry and whip something up.  Not. Gonna. Happen.  My husband is amazing at this.  He loves sandwiches.  Deli meat sandwiches, to be precise.  He could eat one every single day for lunch, and be perfectly happy.  Just meat, cheese, and Miracle Whip.  That's all.  He is also great at cooking up a quick, yummy dinner of chicken, rice and peas.  For some reason, my brain is not wired this way.  So I just need to plan on being in the kitchen for a while.    

Here's to many fun days in the kitchen this month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will do super! : ) Now you will have a reason to wear your pretty apron everyday several times a day! I want to see a post about what is on the menu. Keep us posted! : )